Things You DO NOT Say to the Clinically Depressed!
I’ve compiled this list once when I was on depression forum. Having the permission of people who participated in getting this list together, I’m posting it here. Hopefully you’ll find it useful.
- It’s all in your head
- Cheer up, it can’t be that bad
- You just need to try to be happy
- You would be fine if you had more faith
- Watch the Passion of the Christ, that should fix you
- Quit feeling sorry for yourself
- You just need to stay busy
- Stop letting yourself get upset
- It could be worse
- You just need to be stronger.
- You do not need all those pills
- Just get over it already
- Quit bothering x person with your problems
- If it makes you feel better, ______ has it way worse because….
- There are people starving and dying of disease in Africa, what right do you have to be depressed?
- Think about all the things you’re grateful for
- What’s wroonnnnnnngggg”? with a real contrived, whining tone
- Can’t you just be happy?
- You’re doing this for attention.
- Are you still taking your meds?
- When is your next pdoc appt?
- Oh you are depressed? Why are you depressed?
- Are you still on those happy pills?
- Go out, have some fun!
- You have no reason to be depressed. You have so much going for you
- If you get depressed at things like this, how are you going to cope when real problems come along?
- Do it! Do it! Go ahead, kill yourself!
- What do you have to be so depressed about?
- Cheer up mate.
- Maybe you should pray a little harder
- You should just end it all to put us out of our misery!
- For god’s sake, there was no such thing as depression/stress in my day….
- Come out with us, we’ll get really drunk that’ll cheer you up!
- Have you figured out why you’re depressed yet?
- Your face looks like a slapped arse. A smile costs nothing!
- Just take a week off work with some prostitutes and coke
- So I hear you’re on drugs. What’s with that?
- That’s disappointing to hear
- Come on – Snap out of it!
- I was talking to my work supervisor about your depression…
- You just have to make yourself happy! Go shopping, relax a little, eat something…that’s what I do!
- Hey, I heard you’ve been signed off work with stress! What’s going on?!
- Seeing your therapist is just like renting a friend
- Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill!!!
- Pull yourself together!
- Come and <whatever>. You’ll enjoy it once you start!
- I’m not leaving until you have cheered up
- You look AWFUL!
- I grew up the same way you did. If I don’t need medication, then neither do you
- Don’t you think you’re being a little dramatic?
- We’re praying for your deliverance
- We all have things in our lives we’re not happy about
- Depression is a “character flaw”
- Do you have unconfessed sin in your life?
- Depression is caused by disobedience
- Aren’t you better yet?
- You are “spiritually weak”
- Stop being so mad at the people who are trying to help you
- I wish you would stop feeling like the world owes you something